Sunday 11 October 2015

1Password - losing the battle

As I wrote yesterday, I am looking at bailing on LastPass.

I am still playing with 1Password, and becoming less and less impressed.

The sync via DropBox (which I was not impressed with having to use) is going slowly.

I thought "I'll use the 'WiFi-sync' option!" This uses (I found) Apple's "Bonjour" service - which I had to download and install, restarted 1Password on WinOS, started the WiFiSync - and it gave me a magic number and instructions to start the client on the mobile device.

Guess what?!

The Android version doesn't have the WiFi Sync option.

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

So, Bonjour was quickly uninstalled (and maybe I should wash my computer - it's all dirty now ;)

I will keep the sync running until tomorrow (currently about 190 items out of just over 1100) and see if we can evaluate it running on the mobile. But once again, MacOS coders seem to see other systems as "second class" citizens.

The Open Source solution(s) are more and more appealing - at least I can be confident that it will run on _all_ my systems.




So, upon searching for help on the website, it appears that, on Android, if you choose a particular sync model (e.g. DropBox) you can't use either of the other two methods offered (local file on the device or WiFi). Additionally, once you have chosen a method, the *only* way to change that method is by deleting the install (and all the transferred files) and starting again. What kind of stuffed-up system is this?

So, I have reinstalled Bonjour (sorry 'puter) and started the transfer via WiFi - but at this stage it seems almost as slow as the DropBox version. Well, tell a lie, it finished. Well, when I say "tell a lie", the software lied - it was telling me it had sync'd 16 items, and just kept that on the display with the usual circle "I'm working" spinner.

It appears everything is "over".

I'm going to have to re-think my usage of the web now. I don't think I am going to be able to install 1Password on _all_ the machines I use, whereas LastPass is (at it's heart) a Browser-based tool.

1Password is a desktop tool that has browser hooks - completely the opposite way of looking at things, and to be honest, quite a bit less flexible.

And I don't think I can run 1Password in the browser without installing the software.


1 comment:

  1. When washing ones computer remember to use lots of dihydrogen monoxide, also if that dosnt work flick the power switch on and off really fast

    ReplyDelete