Monday 5 October 2015

ch...ch...changes...

Change - a part of life. (and then I hear Marvin saying "Life... don't talk to me about life.")

Currently at work there is a process being called "Change Management". In the past I've been through something called "Transitioning", or "Reorganisation", or "Outsourcing" and several other waffly feel-good phrases for what used to be called in a more honest time "Redundancy". i.e. "we don't need / want you anymore."

I've been through at least 4 of these in my career in Information Systems / Technology, and each time God has provided.

Looking around at the workplace as it now is, some 14 (nearly 15) years after I first signed up, I am wondering if I really want to stay. As a result, I am re-evaluating my career direction over the next couple of decades. Ultimately, I think I would like to be a Counsellor, but the reality is that it won't pay the bills I currently have. A nice "retirement" earner, but not really a "full time paying" job - or at least, not the way I want to do it.

So the near-term plan. Initially, if I survive the "Change Management" process (and I am not sure I want to!) I will be doing more of a "work to rule" to free up some time for my career development.
As those who know me will know my passion (in the technical space) is "Web Application Security". And thus it seems wise to start switching the time, effort and energy I use as unpaid overtime to my current workplace to ramping up my knowledge and skills in WebAppSec.

Currently, I will admit, I am like a kiddie (but not a "script-kiddie", or maybe I am) paddling on the shore of the ocean. It is time I learned to surf - metaphorically.

My plan of attack is:
  1. ask someone to be a "mentor" - I know who I would like to be my mentor, I just need to approach them
  2. work towards some Industry Certifications - specifically the "CompTIA Security+" (which I think I already have enough knowledge to pass) and then something like the "GIAC Web Application Penetration Tester" or some thing similar
  3. sell my body (and knowledge and skills) to whoever will pay for it :)
Point 3 does include my current job - the managers do have some plans that the above may well fit in with, and let's face it, their money spends as nicely as anyone else's ;)

Something I should also start doing is more tutorial videos. Of course, I am torn between my deep desire to make this available for free, and getting some extra coin to accelerate my ultimate goal ;)

It is going to be an interesting ride whichever way I go :D

No comments:

Post a Comment